*find new writing from Colin in our print issue.
escued Sound From a Flooded Studio
ow to Survive A Winter in New York (excerpts)
This co-authorized document is built to include a wide list of various resources, places to go, methods for support, and things to do to help make everyone’s winter easier.
Make a shared list of ideas for winter with friends
do the things on the list
start a book club
Make someone a present
Write a letter to send in the mail
Make a comedy video
Go ice skating
Go to Pacific Aquarium on Delancey with a new friend
Tell a mentor that they inspire you
Clean out your closet, give nice things away
Write a manifesto for something you care about
Design a family / friend crest for your crew
Embroider over all the stains on your favorite clothes – use seed beads or thread or sequins
Paint a loved one’s portrait
Perform ten emotions in unison with a friend
Design a board game
Learn a new language – in particular Bside of a glass teapot
Project sychronized swimming olympics videos
Dust your tiny belongings
itunes gift card
Hot Chocolate with Frangelico
Home Screenings (with optional Q/A panel about film)
shake your butt
Catch up on reading every book you did not read the year before.
Many baths. Light candles. Drink sparkling water while you are in the bath. Treat yourself.
-extra points add a TON of epsom salt to your bath
Invite your best friend over and pamper them. It feels GOOD to care for others.
Exfoliate! Moisturize! Slather ur feet in lotion before bed.
go to free yoga or meditation classes
have more house plants
visit the botanical gardens in prospect park on free days (tuesdays?)
reusable hand warmers I love these.
Aromatherapy! Burn rosemary, sage, sweetgrass, any kind of wood, frankincense, incense… get some lavender…. Rosewater spray
Before going to bed, after waking up, or if feeling stressed or agitated do some visualization meditation exercises. Honest guys https://www.youtube.com/user/TheHonestGuys/videos is a great resource. Some videos are better than others (I find the earlier ones are actually better) Some are more open ended but others are very specific like visiting various realms in Middle Earth. Really helpful for insomnia or that feeling like you don’t want to get out of bed in the morning.
TO PREVENT GETTING SICK:
-Wash your hands!
Here’s a very simple meditative practice, a kind of check-in, that takes about 1-3 minutes. Definitely helpful as a check if you’re feeling anxious or despairing.
1. Close your eyes – observe your body, realize you’re not in any immediate danger, you’re safe
2. Think about someone(s) who loves you (it could be a pet), keep focused on those feelings of love
3. Think about someone(s) you love, then focus on that expanding feeling of love outwards for as long as you can, then open your eyes.
APPLE CIDER VINEGAR
– OIL OF OREGANO – how do you use this?- dilute three drops in a small glass of water
– WELLNESS FORMULA by Source Naturals
– DRINKING LOTS OF WATER
– MELATONIN (natural supplement to take when you want to rest but have insomnia)
Vitamins B / D (B6 and D3 especially)! Magnesium. Zinc.
– When you “feel” your body getting tired/sick instead of grabbing an Airbornue or Emergen-C… Boil a pot of water add 1 onion peel (the skin part), a nice palmful of ginger (peeled and thinly sliced), a handful of dried dates (available at most Chinatown groceries), 1 pear (bosc or asian pear with the skin cut in quarters or thinly sliced), juice of 1 lemon + the pulpy part!, 1 clove of garlic (or more if u want), honey (to your liking)
– Grapefruit Seed Extract (available at ‘health food stores’ like whole foods)
-exercise exercise exercise
– garlic is a natural antibiotic. for sore throats just chop some up and swallow it! if it’s too strong on its own, you can put it in a glob of honey
– for people with vaginas: tight winter clothes = yeast infections. get some boric acid suppositories or make them yourself.
– Mushroom Tinctures (my mother always makes me chug a concoction of tinctures when I get sick. Works better than emergen-c but tastes a whole lot worse.) – Reishi is amazing
-this tea: in a small saucepan, add two cups water, 1/2inch turmeric sliced thinly, 1/2 ginger sliced thinly, a couple tablespoons of nettles and some sort of green tea, bring to a slight boil, then cover tightly, let sit for 10 minutes. Add raw honey to taste. SO GOOD WOW.
– netty pot with ¼ teaspoon of salt, a pinch of baking soda and a couple of drops of tea tree oil
also for nasal rinsing try alkalol, it has peppermint, eucalyptus and feels great
-Echinacea tea or tablets!
– eat chillies!
– tunisian olive oil, one spoon a day
Your face will thank you:buy some oranges, or clementines. Eat them. Save the peels and soak them in warm water to remove any pesticides or waxes. Once the peels have been cleaned, use them to gently wash your face. You can use either side of the peel, or both. Replace the winter blues with orange! (i like to place my peels in the bath along with a splash of peppermint oil and green tea)